These are 7 posting tips we're seeing as Best Practices:
1) Shorter Posts gets shared and commented on at a higher rate then longer posts (ie 80ish characters is a short post size.)
2) Posts including links, videos and photos get shared & commented on more then those without links.
3) Posts announcing something about your company, without a link back to your website or an action to convert your FANs to clients, is a waste of a Post! Your intent is to first gain your FANs respect & trust, and then to make it easy for them to do business with you.
4) The rule of thumb for a brand or service organizations, is to have a ratio of 5 knowledge posts to 1 self-promoting.
5) The top two reasons people/FANs stop following you are (i) you post too often, & (ii) your posts are too self-promoting.
6) A brand or service should Post once to twice a day, where as a media organization or events organization can post up to 10 times a day.
7) Educate & Entertain.. if you are funny to begin with, let your humor come across on your Posts. The term that's coming out these days is Edutainment. Good Posts are Educational while they are Entertaining.